20140918

Day 137

The city was dying.
It was more than the wildlife fleeing, more than just the plants dissolving.
Everything is dying.

The roads are cracking and dark yellow pus oozes out.
Even the air smells like death, all cloyingly sweet and stale.
Buildings are sagging and entire walls are collapsing, revealing rotten
wooden beams and maggot filled interiors.

Most of the people have long since moved out, though a few remain,
clinging to the fragments of their former lives as they shamble aimlessly
through the corpse strewn streets.

Occasionally a block of flats will collapse entirely, throwing a cloud of
dust, flies and blood.
Not human blood, this was thicker, stank of mould but definitely still blood.

Who knew buildings could bleed?
But then again, when your whole city is on its deathbed, you don't care for
rational explanations as much as you want it to stop.

The government quarantined the area, just in case this decay was contagious.
I just about managed to sneak in there last week, I had to see if anything was
left, if anyone who stayed was still alive.
I wasn't prepared for it.

The whole city was under about two feet of pus and everything stank of
rotting meat and wet concrete.
The air was stale and cold, despite it being summer.
I expected it to be totally silent as everything living (bar a dozen or so people)
had left before it got serious but I could still hear things.

I could hear people talking, well I say talking.... it was more of a garbled attempt
at talking.
Like they were speaking underwater.
They were close to me, just around the corner of something that might have been a bus.

I peered just past to see if I recognised them, an old friend of mind did stay behind with
his mother so I hoped it was him.

I honestly don't know what I saw but they sure as hell weren't human, maybe they
had been some time ago but now they were just walking, bleeding things.
They looked to be part corpse, part metal (almost like scaffolding) but mostly whatever
yellow substance that covered the ground of the city.
They just oozed this weird liquid through every crack in their exterior (I don't know if
they had skin, I didn't stick around long enough to make notes).

I'll admit that the second they started to quieten down and move away I hid in a hole in
the side of the possibly-once-a-bus thing.
One of them slid right past me, I think I saw an eye peer out of its flesh-like parts.

As soon as I thought the coast was clear I snuck back out, same way I got in.
I haven't had the authorities knock for me yet so I assume I got away with it.
The news isn't showing anything from my old home, I have no idea what's happened
to those things - were they the people who stayed behind or were they something else?

I have, however, noticed that there are no birds in my new home.
And the roads are awfully worn, cracking in some places.
I'll finish writing this some other time, I can't focus right now, I just ache all over.
It hurts, it hurtss sso mucch

No comments:

Post a Comment