20141013

Day 162

Certain scents remind us of people we know.
For instance, lavender might remind you of your grandmother
or leather and cigarettes might remind you of your first love.

For me, the most memorable scent is freshly spilt blood.
It reminds me of my mother.
She would always come back from work smelling like it.
I never knew why but I guess it wasn't legal, social services
took me away when I was eight and I haven't seen of heard
from my mother ever since.

That changed recently.
She sent me a letter.
I don't know how she got my address but through these letters
we arranged to meet in our old house.

Everything was exactly as I remembered it and I mean exactly.
My old room hadn't changed since the day I left.
The scent hadn't changed either but now I was old enough to
be told.

Our house had always had a lot of photos hanging about and the
walls seemed perpetually sticky.
Had they always been such a dark shade of red?
Was the wallpaper always so shiny and metallic?

While I was wondering this my mother lifted up a large photo of
dancing skeletons.

There was a hole behind the image.

It was full.

It was dripping.

It was fresh.

It explained everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment