20141020

Day 169

I'm sure I'm alone now.
There are no houses around for hundreds of miles.
Had to get away from the city, you see.
Its not safe there anymore.

By the time I'd left thousands had already gone.
Nobody quite knew where, only that it was underground.
Reporters and the like had gone down with ropes and either found nothing or didn't come back.

As far as we knew everyone who was gone was dead, we had no way to prove otherwise.
So we just stay put as far away from the ground as we could and tried our best to not be next.
I doubt news has gotten out about this, I wonder if the families of the missing even know they're gone.

It started in the pavements, you know.
There were rumours going around that some of the homeless had been dragged under the slabs by something.
Nobody ever seemed to know what the something was.

I saw it once.
Pigeon hopping near the bench I was on as normal until the slab underneath it flipped and just like that it was gone.
Didn't see what had grabbed it, only it was damn fast.

Should have left then, decided to stick around for another week.

That's when people were taken in broad daylight.
Anyone who tried to video it was taken soon after.

Then it spread.

No ground was safe.
Benches replaced by paving stones, whole parks just gone in an instant.
Vehicles too.

Those of us who survived were airlifted out by the army.

That's when I took to the countryside, away from everything concrete.

Reason I'm telling you this is cause I spotted a brick path outside.

I reckon its gotten longer too.

By tomorrow it'll be at my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment