20141209

Day 219

I was sent an invitation for some private gallery viewing.
"THE GREATEST EXHIBIT THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN"
It didn't appear on any internet search or newspaper.
Didn't think there was any harm in checking it out.

It was in a small building - a local gallery.
I arrived a few minutes after the official opening time, 11PM.
Apparently it was normal for these things to happen at night.
Nothing seemed overly suspicious to me.

Should have tipped me off really.
The worried look on the receptionists' face should have tipped me off too.
So should the dress code - your best and last.

Everything in there was weird and... distorted?
All the exhibits seemed to be body parts floating in varying liquids.
They had regular names like "Lydia" and "Ryan".
Every exhibit title featured y as the second letter.

My name had y as the second letter.
Something which I'd forgotten until the last few minutes... when I met the others.
Seems I wasn't the only person there, despite the emptiness of the building.

They were all gathered round an empty tank discussing potential titles with the attendant.
They were yelling names, all with y as the second letter and asking who had that name.
It seemed like a game - your name as this title, an interactive art piece.
Then they called my name.

The attendant standing beside the tank had been checking his list the whole time.
He yelled my full name and pointed to me.
Everyone around me parted and hands pulled me to the front.
The man smiled and said it was fortuitous that I'd joined them.

It's a privilege to join.

You become a part of something glorious for all eternity.

They chose my eyes, you know.
Voted on it.
Said my eyes were perfection.
The rest of me has rotted away, not good enough to be seen alongside the other art.

Some day, maybe you'll join me in perfection.

Join the greatest exhibition the world has never seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment