20150410

Day 341

In the forgotten corners where abandoned cars rot and technology goes to die there lives a being.
Perfectly hidden among the rust and wires, skin the colour of dried blood on grass.
Rumours about their diet are many and varied, some say they eat living meat, others say rusty metal.
There are so many accounts of them - most countries have a dozen or more outcrops.

I saw one a few weeks ago and it looks nothing like the rumours claim.
They said the best time to see one was at dusk, to wait at the entrance of wherever they'd been seen.
If you were lucky you'd hear one speak, their voice sounded like they spoke through tin cans.
Nothing really prepared you for actually seeing them.

When I went mid evening to a scrapyard by the river and waited, it invited me in.
I was prepared in case anything went wrong, had a hefty torch that would at least sun it... hopefully.
Also took a bunch of old batteries in case it ate those - it did.
I spent most of the brief meeting frozen in place, too scared to move.

The rumours said it would look like a metallic apelike thing, this was not what I'd expected.
It didn't really have a body or fur, it was just an enormous head with long, muscular arms.
They got the colour right at least, that browny green that seemed to shine in the lowlight.
Nobody'd said anything about the sheer size of it, especially its face.

There is nothing so worrying as conversing with something whose face is bigger than your body.
Especially when its teeth look like jagged glass dug deep into grey/green gums.
It took the box of batteries I shakily offered and swept them into its large maw with a tongue bigger
than a small car and as grey as the rest of its jaw.

My short visit ended with it gently pushing me out of the gate and closing it behind me.
I stiffly turned around to see it pressing its face against the bars, grinning wildly, mouth wide open.
Never thought I cold run so fast but that tin-sounding laugh seemed to follow me home.
I haven't slept right since, I swear I see its shadow outside my windows.

This was only made worse when they found five bodies in the scrapyard, torn to shreds and covered
with some kind of greyish substance that didn't match anything else alive.
It seems like every day they have an update on the bodies.
The latest was that they all had batteries in their throats.

No comments:

Post a Comment