20150522

Day 383

The fields seemed to extend for miles, small trails criss-crossing throughout.
It was a common sight to see flags wandering along as people travelled from town to town.
This area had never been cut down, never been trimmed nor tamed.
No attempts ever made, at least none that were heard of.

Some parts of the fields were shorter, little squares that were around eye level rather than head height.
Nobody quite knew what had happened there but the stone slabs nearby gave hints.
Names written on them that sounded strange, gave your mouth a buzzing feeling and made your eyes
ache if you stared at them for too long.

Our solution was to cover them with thick woollen blankets, it only dampened the effect.
Makes my tongues curl just thinking about it.
Some of the older folk talk about other things living in the grass, always just out of sight.
They say that these beings protect us, but they never say what from.

I keep seeing them out of the corner of my eyes, always a few feet from me.
They come closer towards the evening to the point where you can feel their breath on your neck.
I think they come closer when danger is nearest.
Last time I met up with the old mayor I felt breath on the back of my neck.

His face went ghastly pale and he stuttered excuses to leave, running heck for leather.
As he left he dropped something among the grass - a curved blade.
The further away he got the further away the other being went until I was left alone.
Every time I see the mayor I also see the faint black outline of one of the other beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment