20150709

Day 431

There's a stagnant lake at the bottom of Castles Hill.
Not exactly a tourist hotspot, most of the town doesn't even seem to know about it.
I didn't even know about it until last week, not sure I should have gone at all.
It isn't exactly as peaceful as it first seems.

I ended up there purely by accident, too busy texting to take the left turn at the bridge.
Walked right past it and ended up nearly stumbling into the lake.
In my defence the algae was as green as grass, if the ducks hadn't been there I would have gone in.
Took me a while to get my bearings and get a good look at the area.


The lake was rippling violently in some places and it seemed the ducks were fleeing it.
I thought it might be fish, even though the algae had probably have choked all the oxygen already.
Then I caught a glimpse of some kind of head with several eyes a metre or so from me.
Before I could panic it sank, rippling towards a mallard and seizing it in a flash of black scales.

The green surface was stained red where the poor duck had been.
The creature took care of that swiftly, darting back and forth devouring all traces of blood.
Algae coated the lake once more and the remaining waterfowl lingered close to the shore.
I began to walk around the perimeter of the lake, searching for the creature again.


It kept darting about off camera, silent and always in the corner of my eye.
The further along I walked the more bird screams I heard from where I first stood.
It was slaughtering them and I couldn't understand why they weren't flying away.
As I neared a clearing everything fell silent.

Stepping closer to the lake once more I saw some of the plants had been bent in a circular shape.
It was a nest large enough that I reckon I could have sat in it quite comfortably.
A loud splash startled me and as I looked up there must have been a dozen or so creatures.
They were just floating there, silently staring at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment