20151218

Day 593

Of all the things we expected to turn against us, we never thought it'd be our own children.
At least they were our children - nobody knows what they are anymore.
They are changing beyond our comprehension and they can't be stopped.
Believe me, we've tried.

Our coastal home has been evacuated and, minus our kids, the town is all safely out at sea.
The marines are nice enough to let us their telescopes to see how the children are doing.
Sometimes we can hear their plaintive little cries echoing over the wind, calling their parents.
Other times they build rudimentary rafts and send us the remains of the animals they find.

I swear none of them have so much as looked at a vegetable this entire time.
They always looked over to us though but we could never quite see their expressions.
Some of us couldn't handle it and stole several lifeboats to go back to their children.
I was one of the few who didn't so much as spare the coast a glance.

I'd already seen what the little creatures were capable of and I wanted nothing to do with them.
They tore my partner in half and smeared his blood all along the walls.
But then again he always did encourage them to make a mess.
When I came in to see them doing this I could see it in their faces - I was next.

I've been out at sea ever since, almost twenty years now adrift in a stolen boat from the docks.
All this time I thought I was safe until I saved a young man from drowning.
After I'd dragged him onboard and caught my breath I asked if his parents ever taught him to swim.
He said no, you never got around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment