20151230

Day 604

When the floods first came I was only nine. Don't remember much past sleeping in the community centre for a few nights and spending most of the days playing with other kids my age, trying not to worry about what the adults were doing or where they were going or why so few came back.

A lot of orphans were made in that flood.

When we had the second great flood I was thirteen. I'll never forget those terrified firefighters saying goodbye to their families and heading out find survivors. I didn't know where they were going but a few kids from my school said they were going to die just like the others.

When I got home I found human bones under my bed.

This year's flood was the first I've faced as an adult and the first year we talked about what we'd faced when we went to look for survivors. The next generation has to be prepared - we can't let them walk into death like we've seen so many already.

We'll spill blood and it won't be human this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment