20160326

Day 691

My camera seems a little broken, nothing I'd ever say to anyone's face but the internet's anonymity will do. See it takes photos just fine, the quality's nothing to brag about but it's good enough for a cheap film camera. I got it in an old auction house for a fiver and I've barely been able to put it down ever since.

It shows me things I could never imagine, things I don't want to imagine. Mostly it shows the world as this desolate grey void. I don't have any black and white film, never liked the monotones, yet this camera only seems to take black and white images. There are no settings to change, it's literally point and click yet somehow every frame comes out colourless. I've taken the films to almost every photography shop in the county and even resorted to developing them by hand in an attempt to keep the colour there or at least bring it back.

It never works, I'm always left with these empty, grey scenes. I took my camera to London to get definitive proof that something was wrong with it. All along the DLR train and into the Isle of Dogs I took image after image, trying to capture the busiest scenes I could. All for nothing.

Well, almost for nothing. Towards the end of my journey as I headed back into the carpark where I'd left my ride I kept taking the odd image with no real focus or effort. It was nearly evening and everything in London was settling down, the crowds of people from the morning had dissipated to the odd group or loner. I thought nothing of it at the time.

When I reached my car I began to hear footsteps behind me. While there were a few other cars about, there weren't any people. Still the footsteps seemed to be heading closer to me, making me quite nervous. After all I was just one person in a fairly empty carpark, who'd hear me cry for help?

As the footsteps drew closer and closer, sounding loudly from just in front of me they stopped. I heard a faint scuffling noise, fainter laughter (deep, deep laughter that echoed all around me) and something crunching wetly all the while I swear I didn't see anyone. Hurriedly I took a few quick photos before I made a dash for my open car and got out of there as fast as I legally could.

It was a few days before I had the film developed and when I did,my camera surprised me once again. all the busy places were as empty as I thought they'd be. Sheet after sheet of nothing but blank streets until I got to the final page where I'd fired off a few shots in the carpark. There was a figure there, blurry but standing not too far from me over by a concrete pillar in the middle of the last row.

In the first image they were standing still.

In the second they were staring right at me, body perfectly still but their face a blur of rapid movement.


No comments:

Post a Comment