20160401

Day 697

Anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't meet your heroes?
I know they told me, even though mine were puppets and so I never listened to them.
Not even when I was persuaded by my mate Ryan to sneak into their old studio at night.
It had been closed down for so long we figured it'd just be walls.
We were surprisingly wrong.

It was just walls at first, the painted faces peeling off and the floor collapsed in places.
The smell of rusting metal was everywhere, seeping through our dust masks.
Still it was nice and nostalgic, we even found the main studio where they'd filmed it all.
Everything was going great until we went backstage.
Things scuttled around there, darting away from our torches.

We caught glimpses of red fur at first and thought it might be foxes but they were too quiet.
That and their eyes were far bigger, where whites should be there was grey looking pulp.
With a fair amount of teamwork we cornered one and saw what it really was.
One of the side characters from the old puppet show, Spogley I think.
She was breathing and blinking, her skin moving like, well, skin instead of foam and fur.

Still she looked like the puppet version we saw on TV, only real and bone thin.
Her chubby cheeks were sunken in, eyes bloodshot and bulging out with fear.
We made the mistake of talking to her and telling her we'd seen the show as kids.
In an instant the fear vanished, her famous toothy grin showed she had no teeth, only rotting gums.
At this point in the show she'd giggle and it would sound like bells.

This time she did not.
Instead she let out a piercing shriek, neck rolling loosely on her shoulders like she had no bones.
The sounds of scuffling, tiny feet running, filled the air as the rest of the cast moved in.
Ryan wasn't scared, not like I was at least, and he didn't immediately start running with me.
I haven't seen him since but I didn't hear him scream as I left.

Like the show said at the end of every episode:

And we'll see you (yes YOU) again tomorrow!
We'll always be around to see your face!
Our viewers are our favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment