20160703

Day 790

Ghosts, as it turns out, have no perception of time. The reason I know this is because my great, great, great grandson visited me last night to ask about the time I saved a man from being hit by a newly remodelled tram only for me to have to tell him it hadn't happened at the time. He was clearly dead, the jagged line running from halfway across his neck that split his torso nearly in half was proof enough.

It gets wearying sometimes, seeing your descendants and ancestors and not quite knowing which they are until you stumble upon an old family photo and see their face staring grimly back at you when only yesterday they smiled and asked you for a slice of toast.

I know I'm not the only one who has this troublesome condition, as it is often referred to by those with doctorates in this, that and whatever. Others in forums online complain that their visitors speak in ancient tongues and seem so utterly furious and bewildered by absolutely everything, often breaking the object that confuses them.

I suppose in that respect I'm quite lucky that I have yet to be visited by anyone so far removed from the modern era and so ancesterous that our languages are alien to each other. You'd think that language is just as flexible in the spirit world as time is but it seems to be one of the Constants (a term that those like me use to describe the characteristics that stick between all the spirits as things they use to tie themselves to the living realm but not the timeline).

No comments:

Post a Comment