20160815

Day 833

Our city is right next to the sea- nearly every morning we wake up to a landscape smothered in sea-mist. My mother always said to be careful when walking in mist, said there was something about the mists that could change a man's perception. I used to think she meant that cars seemed so far away until they were suddenly right by you or how people become shapeless voices.

My friends used to use the mist as an excuse to run about and scare whoever they could and of course I joined them every time I could. When my mum found out she looked at me like I was a 5'6 spider made out of bees or something equally terrifying. She told me in a quiet voice to never to that again.

It scared me, you know. I'd never heard her sound so scared and angry at the same time. It really made me wonder what the mist was doing to my friends and I when we were out. The following morning I planned to experiment and see if the mist had a physical or psychological affect on us.

My friends were game enough to be my guinea pigs and so from that day onwards any time the mist came they'd take a photo of themselves before and after going out as well as write down what they did that day. It didn't take too long before the results became clear to all of us.

The photos showed that over the course of a month, after eighteen ventures out to scare anyone in their path, their skin was three shades lighter at least, their mouths and their eyes were measurably bigger too, their teeth flatter and wider. The strangest thing was that they were proud of their changes and thought they were evolving into better humans.

If anything my experiment did everything I thought it wouldn't. It showed the mists were changing them, made them see their changes and want to further them by any means possible which now meant that they were staying out in the harbour eagerly waiting for the mist to come and "aid their evolution".

I hadn't seen them in almost four months, they'd skipped school entirely and their families weren't talking about it. The teachers and local council didn't seem to care in the slightest while the rest of my classmates would catch themselves staring at the empty seats and wondering what they were becoming and how long it would be before we all became that something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment