20160916

Day 865

My dear wayward friend,

Please accept my humblest apologies for the vague and abrupt nature of my last letter. The eyes of our enemies were too many and their minions have even gone so far as to hide my writing implements! Unfortunately this has yet to be remedied, though the culprits were found and disposed of after their fervent denial in the partaking of the theft.

Bless your sturdy nature and thorough research. Your studies have led me to the doorstep of a man known only by the name on the toe tag he was wearing when his body was found in the alley beside Ibrox Street in Glasgow. Though he was pronounced dead on scene he awoke during the autopsy and was soon transferred to the hospital upstairs.

Upon waking he described the following to me and I found it pertinent to report to your wise ears. You'll find that his written account of the beasts seem to match the sources you discovered in your dig on Two Tree Island.

Yours in faith,

Midas' Pen


It was on the way to the pub is when it happened. I was set to meet an old mate from school, hadn't seen him since he swanned off to Lancashire for university. Too good for the strong work he was. Always had one of them minds made for thinking not doing and he was always keen to prove so. Reckon he was afraid of the rest of us. We could have snapped him like a twig but he was our lad still, just an odd one.

So I get to the pub and wait outside for him just as he'd asked in his letter. He was a nervous sort of person, see, and having a big lad like me waiting for him made him feel a bit safer about coming home.Not that he had any real reason to avoid home save for the fact that his dad was disappointed he'd rather get educated than paid for real work.

I must have waited for a good hour or so, killing time chatting to the lads as they went in for their brew and laughed at me for pandering to old brainyboxes' nerves when out of the blue he came slamming into me. I never saw him coming but judging by the state of him he'd been coming in fast for quite some time. Never seen a face so shiny with sweat outside of the factory.

He stammered something about  running into these things with more limbs than anything ought to have and "impossibly insectoid" or something like that. I reckoned he'd spotted one of them wasps from Africa that get caught up in cargo and find their way out and about but I'd already humoured him thus far and saw no harm in doing so some more.

So I goes along with him to the place he said he'd seen the creatures that had sent him scarpering. I didn't even know he'd been stung at that point, no unusual behaviour that hadn't been there when we was young at least. Sure enough when we got there we spotted this hunched over stripe thing. Great big bugger of a wasp if ever I'd seen one and not yer missus version of big. This one was about the size of my nephew Alphie and he's five.

Right as I start to make my plan of attack old brainybox starts slicking up a storm. Thought his teeth were chittering out of fright but he was only talking to the bloody thing! I did wonder what they taught over in Lincolnshire until I got stung too. Came at me faster than a cat tossed into a basin and hurt far fiercer.

Once I'd gotten over the initial shock of being rushed by an oversized wasp thing I began to hear it too. Had a voice like me old man who's been chain-smoking for almost fifty years. It said it was gonna tell me what it told old brainybox and if I was to listen good and proper I'd live til morning and if not it'd paralyse me and drag me to its nest to be grub for its grubs.

I didn't much fancy that so I said I'd do anything, as any sane bugger would in that sort of thing and all it told me was to keep in touch. It'll come back for me somehow. I know its what dragged me up to Glasgow, I'll be buggered if I know any other way I'd've got there without any memory of travelling.

I hate to worry a nice fellow like yourself but I do reckon that sting has done me a mischief somewhere deep inside and I don't know what I'll be capable of doing now. They said I'd gone and died barely a day ago and now you're here knowing a lot more about this than I ever did. Makes me think there's a bigger picture that I ain't seeing. I do hope I live long enough to.

No comments:

Post a Comment