20161011

Day 890

The snow came in thicker and faster than any weather channel had predicted, going from zero to sixty inches in just two days. I swear it was more than that but to be honest I was preoccupied at the time and the snow was the least of my worries really. The main concern was making the last of the week's food last until the roads were clear enough to drive on.

The first day wasn't so bad, I'll admit. I heard a few weird noises about the place but at the time I reckoned it could have been the local kids out playing. A brief glance out the window, just to make sure they weren't causing any mischief, showed that the snow in my front yard was utterly untouched, so was the snow as far as I could see.

It became a pattern over the week of hear a noise, rush to a window and find nothing, hear only the wind making the branches scratch my house. I almost felt comforted by this towards the fifth day until I caught a glimpse of my neighbours all doing the same thing. Making eye contact was a mistake, from the distance and the faint haze of still-falling snow they all looked like corpses.

They looked scared as well and it was like we were all seeing the exact same thing. I didn't know until all the snow had melted that this was indeed what happened only they never heard the scratches and claimed that they only heard the noises when they saw me near the windows. One joked that the noises must have liked me.

I didn't see the funny side to it, especially not when I saw the scratches by the latches of every window on my house. I definitely don't remember seeing anybody outside, nothing disturbing the snow until the plows came by to set us all free. Even after everyone went outside to the store for the first time in just over a week the noises still came until the snow was utterly gone and I could clearly see the large footprints circling my house in the damp dirt left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment