20161023

Day 902

I'd been planning this with my friends for about three months. They wanted to celebrate graduating from university and I needed someone to take my place at the swimming centre's quarterly overnight stay. As far as the public knows they do it as a dare, like initiation for the newcomers but its a blatant lie.

I'd feel guilty about doing this to the people I've known for five years but at the same time I've seen how willingly they step on and over other people to get what they want. They've done it to me before to get into the lecturer's work experience programme, offered to cook dinner for the first time in months and then suddenly disappear while I was eating. Surprise surprise, I got food poisoning and they got to the sign up sheet.

It's what sealed my decision really, what made me bring the overnight stay to their attention and plan my escape while they took my place like a rat in a snake tank. The night we'd agreed on came sooner than I'd expected, time just flies when you're planning the "accidental" deaths of your alleged friends while also finding evidence to pin the whole thing to a group suicide pact.

During my training with the swim centre I'd witnessed an overnight stay so I'd know what to expect when it was my turn. I saw two people go in, a fellow trainee and an experienced employee. My boss said I could opt to either have a staff member or whoever from the public come in with me but somebody had to remain in the pool by 3AM. This time it was the trainee.

After four hours of fighting and trying to outwit the staff veteran he ended up barely floating in the deep pool, ready to accept the same fate that I was going to let my "friends" go through on their own. It'd be just like the food poisoning incident, I'd slip out to use the toilets and wait in the bar, behind thick glass until they were gone.

It didn't quite go to plan on the actual night though. It seems that there's way more than one poolkeeper like I was told. There must have been eight at my last count, before I curled up beside the mini fridge and prayed they had no idea I was still inside the building.

By 5AM, when the sounds of screams and splashing had faded to satisfied gurgles and belches I thought I was safe. Then I heard the faint but unmistakable sound of the poolside door opening and closing, followed by wet footsteps quietly pittering their way towards the front of the building.

I didn't peer around the corner I just hid inside the nearest cupboard and peered through the keyhole to see one of my friends had survived. Well, they hadn't died just yet. Their torso was covered in deep bite marks and blood was pouring from them at a steady pace. They swayed where they stood, seemingly staring into space until I realised they were staring through the glass and into the pool.

I don't know how long we remained there like that,me hiding and them staring at the poolkeepers but eventually the cleaners came in for their post-poolkeeper cleanup and called for the manager immediately. That was when I came out of the cupboard. We agreed on a story and when the manager came in he seconded our idea, dragging the dazed survivor into the staff showers to be "dealt" with.

Apparently the poolkeepers have more reach than I thought. Every now and then while I'm on duty, wherever I am I'll see a glimpse of them or hear their gurgling mixed with the bubbling Jacuzzi. They've even left notes in my work locker on damp paper. They're so happy that I came to work for them and that I brought them so many things to eat.

The manager's signed me up for the next overnight stay, offered to triple my pay if I can get a group like past time. I don't want to disappoint them - I can't disappoint them. They're counting on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment