20161121

Day 931

I have vivid memories of walking along the beach, ankle deep in the ocean while my parents sit under a large umbrella. Mum smiles and waves to me while dad's too busy reading his favourite book to notice anything else. My siblings are further in the water splashing each other.

I remember this like it had just happened, though it's impossible. The seven seas dried up centuries ago, I don't even know if it was the same shade of green that I remember after all green is such a rare colour nowadays. Vanishing months after the seven seas, it took most of the world with it and most of our culture too.

Cacti are just about the only thing to survive, that and the trillions upon countless trillions of bacteria that we use to make what little food we can. We survive and that's about all we do, maintaining our groups fills our every waking minute as we constantly check with each other to see who is surviving and who isn't.

It's always cause for a big celebration when someone finally dies, it means we can eat real meat but it only seems to happen every ten years or so. I'd call it planned and consider discussing it with the group but honestly it's too good to pass up the chance to eat anything that isn't some cacti-fungal soup abomination with a side of cactus juice or camel milk. The poor creatures apparently had lumps on their backs full or water but I've never seen one with anything but the usual bony spine.

It's only been five years since Linda died but I'm still craving real meat so much my mouth aches just thinking about it. There's no way we'd ever kill a camel for meat - they're too precious a resource at this point but people are more. More common, more annoying and more easily killed than one of those hulking great beasts.

It can't be that hard to fake a natural death surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment