20161206

Day 946

Today at exactly 08:34 I saw my first car. It should have been impossible since the last car factory closed almost three hundred years ago. That and I haven't seen another human for almost fifty years thanks to the scam that convinced them there was paradise in Ireland and that if they could just cross the Celtic Sea they'd be safe and have all the resources they could ever need.

The beaches are still stained red and corpse strewn, less so now but fresh bodies always wash up at least once a week. On the bright side it means there might be a thriving new civilisation just across the water, that or whoever is on the other side is rationing their killing sprees so they'll always have someone to toss out for the fish.

I thought I knew for a fact that there was nobody anywhere near my camp at the summit of Mount Snowdon (strategic location, plenty of room to grow my seeds and it was easy to hook up my home-made solar generator to keep everything warm) and then this morning when I was scouting the area to check if any of my traps had been sprung I spotted the car driving full pelt along the A470, heading to the A5 and deeper into the mountains.

My first thought is to store up as much food as possible and prepare to plank the windows. I could outlast them with my greenhouse produce and whatever local wild-thing had gotten stuck in my traps. Maybe they've come across the Celtic Sea and are refugees from whatever murder-cult-doomsday-massacre is going on over there or maybe they're looking for new recruits.

You used to get so many bandit-type gangs about when I was younger, claiming everything as their own and killing whoever disagreed. It didn't matter if you paid them protection or if you were an inner member - if they wanted what you had they'd take it and leave your body strung up, waiting for you to dry out enough that your skin could be sold on for winter clothing.

Today at exactly 08:34 I saw my first car and at 12:06 the train was called down.

I guess I'll know who's coming in 90 minutes but until then I'll practise pretending I don't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment