20170103

Day 974

I could tell when it was happening outside my door by the way the shadow gently swayed back and forth. They did this every Wednesday, reenacted their deaths in utter silence. On the bright side it meant that I wasn't ever tempted by a late night snack, just in case I came back to my room to find them waiting for me to hide behind the door so they'd have a proper audience.

It was always the same - one would be shot by the homeowner who'd discovered them upstairs where he'd set up his noose in order to end his own life. The one he didn't shoot would drag him along the hallway and string him up before yanking his legs so hard they tore right off with a wet crunching sound.

Some times they changed the script, sometimes they let him win and sometimes they changed in more subtle ways. For example the homeowner didn't always have the air to scream in pain but when he did it seemed to echo all around me and right into my ears. Drives the neighbours dog mad, sets it off yowling into the wee hours of the morning.

Still it could be worse, from the forums I've found there's one poor woman who had to live out her lease with five children who were constantly running from their older brother and dying in truly... creative ways before resetting and sleeping the weekdays away. From 07:00 on Saturday to 21:00 on Sunday they'd loop about her and through her, sometimes shrieking and sometimes just whispering "go away," over and over again until they got caught.

I still say she's luckier than me - her ghosts are at least human.

No comments:

Post a Comment