20170108

Day 979

It was expected that with all the strange things that had recently been seen in the nearby rivers and lakes, that flooding would bring them right to our doorsteps and lead us all into Damnation. Quite the opposite happened and now we question if we ever had souls or if we were like the water creatures all this time, after all humans are sixty-something percent water.

I remember the first time I saw one of these new beings when I was out fishing with my friend Marlene and her nephew Ray. I thought I'd just seen the biggest fish of my life until a worryingly human face appeared where I'd cast my line out. The cheeky thing waggled my own baited hook at me, slipping a fat fish onto it, giving it a pat and dropping the line back into the water before swimming off again. I suppose we should have known from that moment that they were looking out for us more water-some folk.

When the floods finally came, as we'd all expected our communities were torn in half between those like me who'd had only kindness from the water creatures and folks who didn't trust them one tiny bit. We soon found ourselves on the brink of civil war with each side taking to their preferred turf. Boats and barriers alike were built to keep everything in its new place and I found myself on a small cuddy boat-turned-tent called "Wierwolf".

The owner had a similar experience to mine only the water creature handed him a sack of half drowned puppies, crying and making noises that sounded like the word 'help'. So many of us have stories like this where the water folk have been so much more human than the ones that have now formed a blockade against us and called for our damnation alongside the so-called abominations who we call friend.

Haven't heard much from the land-stuck for quite a while, come to think of it. Whenever we got too close to one of their settlements they'd yell all sorts of abuse before throwing their trash at us. It hasn't happened for a few weeks which is new. We aren't sure if we should be worried or happy that everyone we knew on land might potentially be dead.

Nobody wants to go inland or even on land to check and I don't blame them. My own brother stabbed my arm when I said I was heading out to the docks. He claimed this was all the devil's work,just like the Vicars and Bishops had said but the Pope himself had set sail several weeks earlier with a holy flotilla of his staff.

It's odd to think that my brother might be dead, perhaps its worse that I don't feel anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment