20170701

Day 1,028

I'd always been told to never follow Will-O-The-Wisps that lingered by the back door of the library. Out of all the Wisps in the area, these were the worst by far, at least that's what everyone says. Every other cluster leads humans out of the way, usually to the nearby woods (or in one case, a pub whose landlord had bribed them to do so).

Nobody quite knows where the library Wisps lead you and as nobody's come back, we can only assume they're dead or worse - in the woods. The same woods that glow so brightly at night from the sheer number of Wisp colonies that thrive there. The same woods where people report hearing songs sung by long dead relatives.

The same woods I found myself being led to by the library Wisps - unwillingly, mind you. I only went out back for a quick smoke and then there they were all clustered around my legs, pushing me onwards and far too strong to resist.

It felt like wading through a river of blunt teeth that only dug in if I tried to walk against their current. They didn't bring me to the edge of the woods like all the others did, no they pushed me along a raised wooden walkway that ended at the mouth of a cave.

At least, it looked like a cave until I felt it breathe out and saw the ground twitch upwards as a colossal tongue scented the air. The Wisps scattered and I ran right after them as they unknowingly brought me straight back to the relative safety of the library.

As strange as things are around here, nobody will believe that Ponder's Hill is alive and that a cave in the woods is its mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment