20170703

Day 1,030

It wore my friend's face like a cheap Halloween mask, grinning through her as it sauntered towards me through the crowd that stood around my body.

Funny how I always thought death was peaceful, what with the soul leaving and all the potential afterlives out there. If I'd have known just how wrong I was then I dare say I would be very much alive and studying for my exams right now.

The afterlife I found myself in looks like a city in perpetual night with tens of thousands of cars always gridlocked and shrieking at each other. I took a wrong turn trying to get home and now I'm stuck in a place where the buildings never seem to end, always spiralling upwards and every doorway has something crouching in it, waiting for whatever poor soul is stupid enough to try and enter.

I'm not alone here, I'm never alone. There are so many others who've been here for so long they don't even remember their names, let alone where they are. Some of they claim they've been here since it was all a village but nobody can be trusted in this place.

The thing that wears my friend's face is the only trustworthy creature around. Sometimes it talks like she did, warning me when I'm too close to danger and other times it just walks beside me, acting like a barrier against the other people or whatever's trying to pass for a person.


No comments:

Post a Comment