20170806

Day 1,064

I didn't think learning to type by touch would save my life but then again I didn't think the vent in my bedroom led anywhere, much less that it was large enough to fit anything larger than a starling. Judging by the size of the eyes that followed me around my room as I tried to reverse out of the door (and failed as it had somehow blocked me in from the other side), the creature must have been about eight feet tall, if it had human-like proportions.

I didn't see all of it - only the head and shoulders as it tried to cram its entire body into view. What little I did manage to see was covered in matted black fur that blended in surprisingly well with the interior of the vent. I only noticed it when I turned my bedroom lights on and saw the glow reflected in its eyes, eyes that only moved when I wasn't looking.

Didn't take me too long to work out how it moved, that weird snake-like twist that was slowly unscrewing the vent from the inside. Somehow it had planned this in advance, or collaborated with my family in order to trap me in there, perhaps my life in exchange for their safety? It'd be something they'd accept without question.

Thankfully I was able to text a friend while maintaining direct eye contact with it, convincing them to come up to my room from the tree that practically touched the hallway window. By the time they'd unblocked my door I'd wriggled myself into a corner I could safely duck down into and then shove them forward as they opened the door.

It worked better than I expected, they didn't even have time to scream as it leapt from the vent in that split-second that neither of us were watching it. His entire head fit into its mouth and it bit down sharply with a sickeningly wet crunch.

His parents, the police, everyone at school - they all ask me where he went after he left my house and I kept to my story. He turned left and never looked back. He never had the time to look back. He never told me where he was heading, only that he wouldn't be home for quite some time.

My family never mentioned the creature in the vents, we never had anything to discuss from their perspective except my missing friend. They seemed detached from the whole situation, cold and unfeeling like they were only present physically.

The creature is back again and I'm hoping that another friend will come visit me.

I don't want to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment