20170903

Day 1,093

I don't know how I hadn't spotted it here before. It says it's been here for years, always in this apartment and always within arms reach of the occupants - its arms, not human ones. I suppose with its ape-like stature that very few things aren't within its grasp, a fact that it decided to prove to me last week.

I went for a midnight snack, only leaving the kitchen light on to save on the power bill. It had been one of those days where I'd forgotten that it even existed until I went to reach for a glass and its shrivelled hand grabbed it for me. The rest of its body was stood in the dark doorway, barely illuminated by the kitchen lights.

You get used to these appearances after a while, and sometimes I honestly appreciate the company, strange as it may be. Still doesn't stop it from surprising me by appearing in dark doorways where I least expect it, just like last week.

Now it seems to be following me outside of the apartment. A few work colleagues have been muttering worriedly about an escaped zoo creature, a snake or ape or crocodile - it depends who you ask. I thought they were just talking to kill time until I was on the closing shift and it followed me from the staff room out to the car park.

I don't know how long its been in the warehouse but it told me it likes to be there among all the people. The feeling is certainly not mutual, not from the way everyone now checks the ceilings whenever they enter the warehouse and how loathe they are to switch off any light.

The manager even pulled me aside yesterday to show the footage of it following me out.

It looks so much bigger on camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment