20171101

Day 1,151

They were clearly drunk, stumbling into closed shops like sluggish pinballs ricocheting with no end in sight. Still, they were the first people I'd seen for hours and after seeing a lamppost turn off and walk itself into an alley I needed to surround myself with some semblance of normality.

It took a few attempts to get them to notice me and several minutes of giggle-based interruptions before they agreed to walk with me to the closest taxi rank. I wasn't going to mention the lampposts until one blinked off and ran away from us.

The lads were confused at first, glancing at each other and me and the half-empty bottles in their hands like something would hold the answer. When it happened a second time all their joking ceased and we walked along in utter silence, now hearing the metallic shuffling coming from behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment