20171128

Day 1,178

She came to me in a dream, her eyes empty holes billowing incense and her voice the sound of a dove's wings being broken. I don't quite understand how I know what that sounds like and I'm not sure I've ever heard it but the moment she spoke, that image buried itself in my mind. She was perfectly normal otherwise and one of the kinder creatures I've found in my wandering dreams.

There was always others lurking around the edges of whatever worlds my sleeping mind conjures up or visits... I've never been sure which it is on any given night. I've asked her before and she's told me that I'm "somewhere south of nowhere" which is as helpful as the dream creatures can be without turning malicious.

At least she stays in my dreams, unlike Ungolth (picture, if you will, a decaying weasel the size of a lorry). Ungolth likes to peer through mirrors and knock on them whenever I have guests over. Thanks to him I now have the reputation of social hermit and mild nervous wreck but it's better than trying to explain to yet another acquaintance why I cover all mirrors, whisper when I'm near them and why I occasionally break them.

Apparently that's disconcerting but I still say it's better than risking someone seeing Ungolth trying to eat his way through a sheet of glass. His determination would almost be admirable but for the fact that he's told me repeatedly that when he gets out he's going to skin me alive and cook me.

Yet he still remains one of the nicer dream creatures which really says a lot either about my mind or the other worlds.

Not sure which is the lesser of two evils really.

No comments:

Post a Comment