20171202

Day 1,182

I should have known something wasn't right the moment I saw the rental contract. It stated in full capitals that "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE IS THE LOFT TO BE ACCESSED AT ANY  GIVEN TIME" which seemed off at the time but in hindsight it was the first of many red flags. Over the next five months I spent there, more warning signs developed and they all stemmed from the loft.

It was the fourth or fifth night in my new home and as always I locked the front door and shut my bedroom door before going to sleep. I woke up seeing the bedroom door wide open and found the front door unlocked. I couldn't prove anything had happened so from then on I left my keys in the lock and left a spoon balanced on all the door handles - that way I'd hear if someone opened them.

A few weeks later I began to lose small things like packs of noodles or crisps or my cheap travelling headphones. Again, no way to prove I had company but my thoughts kept coming back to the loft door and the thought that somebody could easily be hiding up there, sneaking around the flat and evading my little alarms.

I was finally proven right last week when I crept into the kitchen late at night to get a drink and saw the loft hatch close.

No comments:

Post a Comment