20171219

Day 1,199

I never knew I had a great uncle, much less that he knew me. Of course I found this out when I was invited to the reading of his will and learned that he'd left me his beach hut. Those things are ridiculously expensive to rent, let alone flat out buy so you can understand why I wanted to get out to see it ASAP.

I timed my visit for a cold and rainy day hoping that I wouldn't be disturbed by anyone who'd known him. Trust me to forget that storms are always so much worse on the coast - I was nearly swept right into the sea when a massive wave just straight up came out of nowhere.

With that in mind it took me almost an hour of stumbling down the beach trying to find number 602 as half the damned things had names instead like "Sunshine and Waves" or "Life's a Beach" which is really helpful. The most helpful. Ever.

So that's partly why I was out there for so long, the main reason being that when I finally found hut 602 and managed to pry off the rusty lock (which made me think he didn't really use it, at least until I got inside and saw why he wouldn't use it) I froze and it wasn't just because of the stench that hit me.

It's not every day you come face to face with a wall of glass, let alone a wall of glass with a dead mermaid pressed against it. Seems she'd been trying to claw her way out, half succeeded but wasn't able to pull her hands free again. There were gouges large enough for most of the water to have drained out so it would have taken her weeks, maybe even months to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment