20180202

Day 1,243

It all started when my wife told me to get away for the weekend. Well, not so much told as she plastered every inch of the bedroom with sticky notes telling me to get the hell out of the town by X date or I'll be seeing her sooner than I should.

There was nothing in the news to suggest anything dangerous was heading our way, nothing online and no office gossip to backup the notes she left me. Funny how she's silent for nine whole years and the first thing she does when she manages to make contact is to try and turn me into one of those paranoid foil-hats.

I still listened to her, for all our differences when she had one of her funny feelings she was never wrong. Like our fifth anniversary when she got a weird vibe from the cruise I booked us into and three days after it set off a storm forced it off course and into the side of an oilrig.

A town of 12,000 people and I'm the only one left. These coastal towns are always the first thing the media yell about when climate change is mentioned but to have an actual honest-to-god chunk of England break away and fall into a newly developed deep sea chasm? Unthinkable.

But that's my wife for you.

Nine years after her death and she's still looking out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment