20180426

Day 1,326

I have no idea what I saw but it called me Goldilocks. I thought the whole complex had been abandoned since the fifties after an an animal rights group started a fire in one of the office buildings to protest the sheer number of dead critters they were caught dumping in a mass burial site in the woods.

So I went there by myself - first mistake, obviously. Most of the site was just as decayed as you'd expect but there were a lot of odd footprints on the ground, like if you took a dog and stretched its paws to about four feet in length kind of odd. I thought it was some kind of prank until I looked out of the fourth story window and saw it sniffing about where I'd been walking.

Imagine the human centipede but made out of several different breeds of dog only instead of them being stitched together  head-to-rear they were joined at the base of their necks by large tumours that rocked and dripped with their uneven steps. I knew it would find me eventually so I just kept moving and made sure to double-back on myself to confuse it.

I was so distracted that I didn't notice I was being watched until it mumbled out "Goldilocks". It did look a little bit like a bear but the head was all wrong. It was too large for the body and lolled about on a worryingly thin neck. Its face looked too flat, too full of teeth to be natural and it was somehow capable of speech.

Of course I shot off out of there like a cat with a firecracker up its arse but I still went back a week later. It just kept bothering me that a creature intelligent enough to understand fairytales and make associations with them was just left to rot behind barbed wire and locked gates.

I brought a copy of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" with me (a version with a happy ending that didn't involve the girl being eaten), hoping to run into the bear instead of the centi-dogs... dog-ipede? You know what I mean. I ran for the same place where I'd seen it last and waited for as long as I dared, right up until I heard all those heads sniffing close by.

As I turned around I saw the bear again only this time it had two smaller bears with it and my mind immediately jumped to the book. The largest called me Goldilocks again so I held the book out to it and hoped it wouldn't rip my arms off and eat me or worse.

Its claws were as long as my forearm and it used them like tweezers, gently plucking the book out of my shaky hands. They all crowded around it, reading the pages together in their gravelly voices. I left before they finished it, just in case they didn't like the ending.

I regret that still, you know.

Especially since they demolished the place.

Part of me hopes they all made it out alive but I doubt the government would let things like them live.

No comments:

Post a Comment