20180929

Day 1,483

As the sound of drilling filled my ears all I could wonder was how did they manage to find me.

There are seventy official bases in Antarctica, mostly research facilities from the major global powers with a few security and medical centres for good measure. The base I found myself in wasn't supposed to be on any map nor known by any government as a precaution.

When the world ends you want doctors and scientists to start it all back up again and that's just what I was there for. We may not have seen it coming but we were as prepared for it as any other bunch of paranoid, overly certified eccentrics with more grant money than we could possibly throw at our research.

It wasn't a virus, the machines didn't rise up against us and neither did the dead. We were all but wiped out by the stars themselves. Half the world smothered in a blistering inferno, struggling to comprehend the level of absolute destruction and causing more deaths by reacting with chaos and panic while a few of us planned our escape.

Now here in the last remaining bastion of humanity I am soon to be confronted by all that we left behind. The nuclear plants went into meltdown last month so whoever, or whatever, is trying to get in will not be kind and might not even be human at all.

Wish me luck or a swift death.

No comments:

Post a Comment