20181004

Day 1,488

I should have left him outside to rot with the rest of the world but I thought we might be the last two people left alive so I welcomed him home. He didn't seem quite right at the time and that should have given it all away but I was just so glad to not be alone that I ignored everything that was glaringly wrong.

I couldn't pin my finger on it at first, thought it might be the distance brought about by years of no communication and tried to push back against the way every inch of my mind screamed that he wasn't real and something terrible had happened.


He always asked me to knock before I entered any room he was in, said he'd been on the run from the rot for so long that he couldn't handle surprises very well. Like an idiot I believed him and announced myself whenever I moved about the place.

Now I know he was keeping tabs on my location so he could let the rot in behind my back. I only found out he was nothing but rot when I caught him stepping out of my brother's skin, his human form sliding to the floor as he released black spores from his mouth in a silent howl that slowly swallowed the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment