20181125

Day 1,540

I've never been a lucky guy, in fact I'm generally that guy running in the rain with their book or shirt over their head as an umbrella. I'm the kind of person who prepares for the worst and yet somehow things always go just that little bit further than I expected them to.

My house was full of charms, wards and whatever people suggested online - I even had a priest come and bless everything. Nothing seemed to work so I threw all the charms in the trash, let life go as downhill as it felt like and hoped it wouldn't kill me.

Five minutes later and I'd cut my arm pretty badly when my hallway mirror fell off the wall and I tried to catch it. Of course it had to break and I had to go and replace it because I'm stubborn and I need to check myself for clothing-mishaps before I leave or something will be ripped or stained or worse.

One surprise storm later and I was lurking in a charity shop, pretending to browse when I noticed a mirror that looked exactly like the one I broke that morning. They even gave me a discount because it fell on me too!

I woke up the next day and everything just seemed better, like my string of bad luck was at an end. I was awake early enough to make a decent breakfast, my clothes didn't get ruined by anything and I didn't get stuck in traffic on the way to work.

Everything felt like it was falling into place, like I'd outlasted whatever had been tormenting me all my life and then I sat down in the office and noticed how the numbers on the clock were backwards... and the mole on my coworker's face was on the wrong side and the computers type in reverse...

And my reflection looks more and more battered every day.

I can't help but wonder what will happen if the mirror me dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment