20181129

Day 1,545

It was antique, 17th baroque according to my grandmother who claimed she adored it while she kept it in a locked closet in the attic. It seemed so painfully cliche to think that it was haunted or possessed but my nine year old self couldn't think of any other reason for it being shut away.

Of course when my grandmother died she just had to leave me the mirror in her will. Apparently I was the only person in the family who'd ever asked about the blatantly noticeable mirror in the background of all her childhood photos which was reason enough for her to think "This is a great idea".

It was not a great idea.

Well, it was until I took it out of  the closet and sent it off to a friend who worked in an antique shop to both restore it and price it up. In hindsight I should have just sold it but it looked so nice against my dining room wall that I just couldn't bear to part with it.

The first time I saw my reflection change I was too drunk to pay it much mind, the second time I was distracted by a knock on the door but the third time... there was nothing to turn me away from the creature I saw myself becoming.

A creature that stopped mimicking my movements as soon as it had developed enough to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment