20190307

Day 1,643

I had my eyes closed for the worst of it and he had his hand over my mouth, constantly whispering at me to keep quiet and wait for them to move onto the next room. They were attracted to sudden movements and had already learned what crying sounded like.

The sounds of screaming and meat tearing slowly faded to contented munching as yet another poor bastard lost their life. At least we assumed so. Once the sound of skittering claws across tile faded we both just stood there, pressed into the corner of the room, breathing as quietly as we could and praying they were too full to attack us next.

I nearly screamed when something wet grabbed my ankle. He wouldn't let me look but I knew it was someone's hand, or whatever was left of it. In that moment I knew someone had survived, was clinging onto life and instead of helping them he dragged me out of the window and practically threw me onto the fire escape.

As much as I hated him in that moment for not letting me go, not letting me try and save the others, I can look back now and thank him for saving my life. I just wish he'd let me have my hands free to cover my ears but I guess I might have tried to shove him away and race towards the danger to fight it head on.

I would have lost. The creatures have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain and they know it. They're utterly ruthless and have more sharp-clawed limbs than I've ever been able to count. Mostly because they never seem to stay in one place long enough - too scared that they'll get trapped again... kind of like how they've got us trapped in our cities, scared of our own shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment