20190502

Day 1,699

Dear neighbour,

I've been wanting to put this into words for quite some time now, to help you understand that I never meant to drag it out for this long. My birth, your suffering - it was all meant to happen so much faster and with such little pain that you'd never even know I was there, let alone that I'd left you.

Unfortunately I got too attached, both literally and metaphorically. I came to like you, like everything about you, from your little quirks to your raging alcoholism. It was all so new to me and such an endearingly vibrant way of expressing your mortality that I was utterly helpless to do anything but remain and feast and delay the inevitable until it nearly killed us both.

Do you remember the day we first met? I don't suppose you would, you were more drunk than usual and too busy eating away at the food you'd already dropped three times but stubbornly picked back up. I must have showed up around the eighth or ninth drop when you were on the outskirts of the zoo.

You never took us there - not once! Was it because I was moving too fast and taking up too much space? Did I make you feel too lethargic, too hot under the collar? I tried to be as gentle with you as I could, to be unobtrusive and step around your more vulnerable sides to maximise our shared time.

Dearest neighbour and beloved host. Our time together meant the world to me and made me what I am today - fully fledged and ready to start a swarm of my very own. With the genetic information I consumed from you I dare say my swarmlings will all have your eyes - it'll be like we never parted!

Yours sincerely,

Yours regretfully,

Yours parasitically.

No comments:

Post a Comment