20190503

Day 1,701

Today I learnt two new things.

1. I like being alone in the forest.

2. I am definitely not alone right now.


According to the rangers it's off-season and nobody else is renting one of the old fire-watch towers out at the moment. So by all accounts I should be looking out at a leafy green sea with only the stars igniting the sky and only the faint scuffling of nocturnal animals to be heard.

By all accounts I'm as far from people as I can reasonably be for a long weekend away and yet all the others towers are lighting up one-by-one, smoke-like figures are moving about like it's just another day for them and for all I know it is and I'm intruding.

That, I could deal with. Watching all these unreal looking peopleish shapes stand on their balconies and turn to stare at me, whispering everything I've never told anyone is just a bit too much for me. Regret is really hitting hard and I'm trying to move as quietly and slowly as possible.

I don't know what would happen if I spooked them or made a move towards the stairs which I definitely locked because bears but now I'm having second thoughts which means moving from my position safely on the floor with my back against a wall out onto the balcony where they can all see me.

What if they've managed to unlock the stairs and they're waiting for me, all crouched down just like I am? What if they're not but they're on the ground right below and they're staring at me like I ate their baby? What if they're climbing up the tower right now?

I think I may have done the thing where I overthink and make everything seem so much worse than it actually is and they're still on their own respective balconies, chanting away and not making any move towards me because that would be rude.

If I just peep over the window a bit I'm sure I'll see noth...

Huh.

Their skin looks like bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment