20190516

Day 1,713

People aren't supposed to go walking in the Drowned Woods and yet I see torch beams flickering about at night and I hear voices calling out the names of all the people who've vanished in the past month. There are always new names every night - people who have gone missing are known to the woods before they're reported to the police a few days later.

Sometimes I like to sit by the fence that surrounds the Drowned Woods so I can try to spot whoever is running about at night with a dodgy torch. It's like the damned thing is just about to run out of power, constantly flashing and dying only to re-emerge the other side of the woods.

Five years of watching and waiting and I've yet to see a physical person, only their footprints and tattered fabric trapped on thorny branches and little splatters of blood slowly dissolving in the knee-deep water. I can hear them walking close by, always close by but never in my line of sight.

Everybody knows someone who's gone in there before, me and a few mates worked it out that there's been roughly thirty people who have gone into the woods at some point but only eight who have come back out. Of those eight only three are still alive.

It seems that when you go in, you either vanish or you don't want to leave. Something will try to chase you out (maybe the person with the dying torch?) and you might actually get chased out but you'll be drawn to the Drowned Woods and you'll end up back there sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment