20190705

Day 1,763

We are only lucid in the water, only clear headed when we are almost completely submerged. The second we set foot on land our minds become clouded and full of hunger, full of unquenchable thirst and we barely remember what we do until we are back in the water again.

It doesn't have to be a river or a pond - even an old mall fountain will do. That's where I've been for the past six years. I'm thirty miles out from the closest town and since the mall started sinking into the floodplains I've been able to roam about a bit.

There's nobody else here of course but the change in scenery is... nice. A few of the computers in the internet cafe still work, flooding and all, and fish have started making their home here too so I've got food and entertainment and things could be worse.

I've heard of others who tried to move upstream only to get caught up in mudslides or droughts or take the wrong underground stream and aren't ever seen again. An abandoned mall is certainly not the worst it could be but it doesn't compare to a nice townside river.

They have food and company and plenty of chances to bring more people down to the water to spend the rest of their lives. Sounds like heaven to me but even with the expanded floodplains I'm hundreds of miles from a decent townside river.

Soon as I set foot onto land my mind would be gone and I'd only remember flashes of eyes full of fear, blood painting every surface and the moist crunch a body makes when you slam their head to the ground one too many times.

Until a better plan comes along I'll stick to arranging drug deals in the car park outside.

No hits so far but someone will bite the bait.

We fishermen are patient if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment