20190714

Day 1,772

People had been vanishing for months, all from around the same area and without any leads. Like many others, I ended up going to the gas station in the centrepoint of the missing people radius in the hope that I might get answers and I did... sort of.

I found myself there at 2AM, thinking I might get something from the night staff if I could ply them with a bottle or two of the good stuff. When I got there I found I wasn't entirely alone and my company wasn't exactly human, though it was sentient.

If you painted a roughly skinned corpse in glossy lacquer you'd get the same lumpy, metallic texture that the car/creature/thing had. Where headlights should be, it had bulbus white eyes that glowed faintly in a phosphorous kind of way an it definitely didn't use conventional fuel if you catch my drift.

The car blinked and stretched its grill into an approximation of a smile. It opened its front passenger door, trying to invite me into what I knew would be a one-way trip. I'll admit the urge to find out exactly where it had been taking people was tempting but I didn't fancy becoming another missing persons poster outside the gas station.

All the same, it had answers and I had questions so we compromised and by compromised I mean I bought a cheap car tracker from the gas station and lobbed it into the open door before ducking back inside the building and waiting for it to leave.

The staff didn't question me, they weren't paid enough to care that much. Eventually it drove off though, sounding somewhat like a car but mostly organic wheezes and huffs. According to the tracker's app, it went straight to my house and has been waiting in my garage all morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment