20190725

Day 1,784

If it were alive, it can become a haint.

Don't matter none if it were human or not.

Haints is haints, boy.


I lost count of how many times Nana said that to me when I was a kid and I doubted one of her many ghost stories. Now I've found reason to believe she was onto something. At least I think she is, i Mean there's simply no other explanation for cave divers to drown when there's not a single stream in the entire network of tunnels.

They were also found eighteen miles away near a dried up old riverbed which makes me wonder if the river itself counted as alive, or was so full of little critters that it felt alive. Either way, I reckon we're looking at the ghost of a long lost river.

Now there's nothing I can think of to put a dead river to rest. I doubt it has unfinished business or feels vengeful... maybe it doesn't know it's all dried up and gone? But surely it would have felt all the little lives inside it leave or die or both?

How to put a dead river to rest... Do we feed it more souls until it feels at peace? Do we seal the caves and hope it doesn't figure out how to move? Do we find what killed it - if we even can? There are too many questions for me to know where to even start and yet someone has to try.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the police will see this as logical, let alone enough to seal the caves themselves. I could do it with enough explosives but that would draw too much attention and then someone would wonder if anyone was trapped inside and they'd dig it all up again.

I could fence it off and post a few official looking signs up but deterrents never really deter, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment