20190811

Day 1,800

The last fleshy remnants of my body rotted away so long ago that if it weren't for my internal photo-memory bank, I wouldn't know what I looked like as a human. Not that it really matters much nowadays but my sentimentality has yet to fade as most of the unnecessary feelings have.

Back when I was new to upgrades, or 'bio-hacking' as we used to call it, I had the sense to engrave my exo-layer and embed coloured resin so I'd always have some colour to me that wasn't gunmetal grey or factory silver. I wanted to stand out and pretend I was becoming better and not just... different.

I still miss things, you know. Little things like how long it took to open my eyes in the morning or how satisfying it was to crack my knuckles or what a sneeze felt like. Thanks to a couple of upgradesI installed early on I have no difficulty waking up, no air bubbles between my joints to misalign them and a nose that serves as decoration more than a sensory organ.

My parents told me I'd gone too far when I had my scalp reinforced and my hair replaced with wifi generating strands or fibreoptic-style cabling. They told me they barely recognised me and that was before I'd even considered an exo-layer or organ replacement (bio organs are just too unreliable and, quite frankly, more hassle than they're worth).

I've outlived them. I've outlived almost all of my blood family and my first friends and most of the people I grew up with. They either couldn't or wouldn't keep up with all the upgrades that were rolling out for next-to-nothing.

If I still had regret I might have more of an issue with this but that has no place in our society. Why bother breaking the law when you barely spend any time in the physical world at all? Everything is done in the V-World and bodies are just back-up forms for when the global network needs to do maintenance.

It's only a matter of time before the final upgrade is released and we can burn our bodies once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment