20190908

Day 1,829

I always hated sleeping in Nanna's old room because she never left.

They took her body away eight years ago but her spirit didn't want to leave.

I used to ask why we had to move in with Grampa and why an auntie couldn't have gone instead.

Mum would just shush me and say 'we take care of our parents when they're old'.


She hated me talking about Nanna like she was still there, even though she was.

Every time I did I'd get sent up to my room - her old room - and locked in there for the day.

But I was never alone though, Nanna was always right beside me.

Sometimes I could even see her, she seemed to get more gaunt by the day like she was rotting with her body.


Hearing her was the worst part, after she got a tracheotomy her every breath sounded like her last.

Mum said it was just the wind and promised to get dad to fix the window seals some time.

I think we both knew that wind doesn't hiss when you're being too loud.

The wind doesn't laugh when something funny happens on TV.


When Grampa decided he'd rather be in a nursing home we all felt relieved.

None of the adults would say it but we were all a little scared of how active Nanna was becoming.

We'd come home to her visibly wandering the house like she used to.

The last time we were there she followed us out to the car.


Needless to say we sold the house and left the county - she's someone else's problem now.

No comments:

Post a Comment