20190920

Day 1,840

The lore never talks about how the full moon breaks and reshapes your bones a little differently each time. Never the same wolf twice and never quite the same face when you change back, if you manage to at all. There's whole packs who are stuck in all manner of variations between man and wolf.

I used to be blonde, you know. Before puberty and the blood curse hit one after the other. Now I've got what my partner calls "salt and pepper" hair - streaked and almost as hard to manage as a night out on a full moon. I've been lucky to only have that so far.

My aunt's eyes changed from mahogany brown to an unsettlingly sharp amber. Her teeth never quite changed back either, all of them are just a little too long and a little less human every time. We all reckon she'll be too far gone before she hits fifty.

No-one in the family's made it past fifty so far but with how mild my changes are, on the outside at least, I think I might stand a chance. Nobody has to know how my feet haven't looked human since I was fourteen, not with my boots covering them so well.

Here's to us - hoping and howling in the same breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment