20191028

Day 1,879

Someone had been here long before me, can't say exactly when but long enough for moss to start growing on the planks they'd placed over the telegraph poles. It was decent of them to make it easier to navigate the void between populations, saved me having to balance on wires older than the end of days and kept me well out of arm's reach.

There was always the worry that there were other ways to get up here, if one of the wanderers traced the lines down to the ground and walked the planks from there then I'd be as good as dead and end up bobbing about with the masses below.

At least the older ones have to deal with those stupid hazmat suits they were crammed into. Makes them nice and slow and clumsy enough that you can sometimes get away with walking beside them before they even notice you. Unfortunately towards the latter days they were shoving two or three smaller people into one hazmat suit and now they're shambling masses of torn teflon and limbs.

I wonder if I'll ever get to the end of the end of the telegraph lines and if I'll meet the person who made it safer to walk them. For all I know I've already gone past them or shot at them or run from their snapping jaws and rigor mortis-stiff hands.

I hope I haven't met them yet - it'd be nice to find a friend in all this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment