20191110

Day 1,891

All those deaths can be traced back to when we were fifteen and doing shots of Mother's Smile in one of the old warehouses out by the coastal side of town. I smuggled the bottle out of my cousin's caravan a few days back and since he'd finally stopped asking about it we took the opportunity to dispose of the evidence.

We must have been two or three shots in when Kyle started up a game of truth or dare that eventually led me to trespass onto the old navy scout ship. They'd dared me to grab the flag from the top mast and bring it back and I was well on my way up there when I saw someone sitting at the wheel.

If I'd had a bit more to drink I might not have noticed how transparent his hands were or the blood pouring from a gaping wound just by his left hip. He smiled at me and slowly dissolved back into the dark of the cabin and some part of me knew he'd be coming up to see me soon.

So I did what any tipsy teenager would do... exactly what I shouldn't have. I carried on climbing and pretended I hadn't seen anything, ignoring the faint screams from the warehouse because my mates were clearly having a great time without me while I was still trying to get that stupid flag.

It didn't even come off properly - in the end I just tore off what I could and legged it back down as fast as I could. The dead man was nowhere on board and though I tried to ignore it, the gate to the walkway was open and there was a trail of blood leading down to the warehouses.

By the time I got there, everyone was silently crying and covered in blood. I freaked out and tried to call an ambulance but they were too worried about being caught drinking so we just walked ourselves home. They never told me what happened that night.

Now, five years later I'm the only one left and the others all managed to die from all sorts of weird accidents that ended in a deep wound just above their left hip and them dying of blood loss. I keep wondering when it'll be my turn but so far the man's just smiled and waved from a distance.

I might just kill myself before he gets the chance to... anything would be a kinder way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment