20191112

Day 1,893

It strung itself between the streetlights like a fisherman's net, waiting for its prey with all the patience of a venus fly trap. If I hadn't seen it on the local news last week I wouldn't have seen it for what it really was and just assumed it was a trick of the light or fog coming off the nearby river.

I wouldn't have thought to look for bodies just beyond the lights, not that many survive being ensnared but the news said we should always check just in case. I've never found a survivor myself but everyone knows someone who found or was found by and lived to tell the tale.

Some nights I sit by my window and watch bats and rodents get caught up, timing how long they take to die and trying to use them as a basis to calculate how long it would take for me to go. I've narrowed it down to somewhere between 15 and 35 minutes.

The rodents don't seem to thrash about much or make any noise so for all I know it's a pretty decent way to go. Imagine it - gently pulled into a cushion of soft light that slowly ebbs away at your life until you drift into sleep followed by death.

I don't know if I've been watching it too long but I think I want to get caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment