20191117

Day 1,898

There'd been disappearances down by the river for as long as anyone can remember and they always turn up dead and dismembered in the woods. People suspect this person and that person and claim its demons all in the same breath, hoping they'll stumble upon the right answer before they're the next to go.

I was nearly a river case a few weeks back. It happened on the tail end of an okay night out and a couple of drinks over my limit. In other words I was a staggering, mumbling mess who thought a riverside stroll sounded perfect.

And it was perfect at first. My eyes were so unfocused I didn't spot the dark furry shape swimming towards me until it was so close to the shore I could have reached out and touched it. Around that time I also noticed just how quiet it had become and how still the river was which only drew my eyes straight back to the shape.

At first I thought it was a cat that had slipped into the river.

Then it raised its head and smiled at me with more teeth than anything has the right to.

I thought that was the end for me - just another person gone missing by the river only to turn upin eight carrier bags out by the woods. But I got lucky. It raised its webbed hand and caught up in its nine-fingered grip was someone I'd never met.

It looked at its victim and back to meas if to say this could have been you if you'd been here sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment