20191125

Day 1,906

I wasn't afraid to be burned.

I was excited.


The townsfolk thought I was a simple run-of-the-mill witch who'd changed the colour of their cattle with magic so that faeries would steal them away. None of them bothered to look closely at the grey-flecks floating in the eyes of their precious cows and none of them realised what was causing their milk to taste so musty.

I wasn't a witch but I wasn't human either. I had been once, about three years ago I think. I remember walking through the woods and finding a patch of strange-looking mushrooms. Then I remember falling asleep and waking up choking as the spores settled into my lungs, into my bloodstream and into deepest corners of my mind.

Now I travel and share our spores so that the cluster can grow and thrive and where better to plant a mushroom, where's darker and warmer than a fine set of lungs I ask? And what could possibly be a better way to kickstart the swarm of spores than the rush of hot air from a roaring pyre?


They might be ending my life but theirs is just about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment