20191127

Day 1,908

Our signals have been intercepted.

Our supply drops have been scraped clean.

The walls of our shelter seem to become more fragile with each passing day.


We don't even have the little radio to drown the silence any more, not since someone smuggled it out and used it as a distraction. It may have saved three lives but now we have precious little to distance ourselves from the fact that we may have faced death countless times together but we are all still strangers.

I wouldn't know the first thing about any of them, they could be worse than what's out there for all I know. They could just be biding their time until I actually fall asleep so they can gut me and roast me. God it's been so long since we had proper meat I wouldn't even blame them.

Still, I don't think I'd be able to stomach meat, much as I might want to. The creatures outside have developed a fondness for bringing their prey back to our walls so they can rip it apart and devour it as loudly as they possibly can. And believe me, when there's a good fifty of them the sound is near deafening.

But somehow the silence is worse.

At least when they're feasting away we can all complain about it and feel like we're an actual group of survivors instead of the prisoners we've become. When the creatures have left and all you can hear is the soft drone of flies landing for their own meal, your thoughts start to consume you.

No comments:

Post a Comment